Van Lewis is an intelligent, reflective man whose brave protest in front of the Tallahassee Memorial Hospital occurred over 40 years ago on December 17, 1970. His was an early voice in the eventual social uprising that we call intactivism today. James Loewen interviewed him recently.
What is an intactivist?
1. an especially active, vigorous advocate of children's rights, especially the right to genital integrity or the right to be free from genital cutting (circumcision).
2. of or pertaining to intactivism or intactivists: an intactivist organization for the right of male, female, and intersex children to be free from genital cutting.
3. advocating for children by vigorously opposing genital cutting (circumcision), especially the cutting of children who lack capacity to consent: Intactivist opponents of the American Academy of Pediatrics picketed their annual conference in New Orleans.
- FLORIDA: Last charge dropped against mother of spite-circumcised son
- ZIMBABWE: Youth tries to cut off his own foreskin after being teased
- CHILE: Officials oppose 'normalisation' surgery of intersex children
- EASTERN CAPE: Death Toll at 23
- MALAYSIA: Boy loses penis-head in botched medical cutting
- KENYA: Boy faces loss of his penis after botched medical cutting
- KENYA: Knife-rapists go door-to-door
- EASTERN CAPE: 9 male genital cutting deaths so far this season
- JAKARTA: Why female genital cutting is so common in Indonesia
- COPENHAGEN: Danish doctors come out against infant male genital cutting
- Michael Winnel Full Interview
- Genital Mutilation of Children and Violence
- Sexual Pleasure With a Foreskin, and Without
- Our First Intactivist Protest
- Circumcision: A Mother's Apology - 4 Years Later
- Doctor Repairs FGM and Supports Genital Integrity for ALL Children
- Sexual Pleasure & Circumcision Harm
- Circumciser and Brainwashed Women Ridicule Male Sexual Anatomy
- Forced Retraction Harms Boys
- Woman Bleeds From Sex With Circumcised Man