While mostly dormant, MC_HIV is still here.
I’ll be publishing more old posts that sit in the draft folder (since the transition to WordPress from TypePad) over the coming days and weeks.
Surprisingly (to me), this blog still gets 5-10 visitors a day. Clearly, the subject matter covered here continues to have an audience.
Thanks to everyone who still checks in from time to time.
Eight reasons why vaccination is not like circumcision:
- Vaccination confers immunity against specific diseases; even if the extravagant claims of its advocates were correct, circumcision could do no more than reduce the risk (and not by much). Nobody will become immune to any disease by virtue of circumcision.
- Vaccination adds to the body’s natural immune system; circumcision amputates a large and visually prominent part of the penis.
- Vaccination provides protection against diseases to which children are at risk and which they may spread to others. Of the diseases to which circumcision is supposed to provide protection, only UTIs are found in children.
- Vaccination provides protection against diseases that are highly contagious. The diseases against which circumcision is supposed to provide protection are either non-contagious (UTIs, penile cancer) or of low virulence (STIs and HIV) – meaning that they are not easily communicated from one person to another.
- Vaccination leaves at most a small spot or lump; circumcision disfigures and scars a man in his most sensitive region for life.
- Vaccination is an injection; circumcision is major surgery, accurately described as pre-emptive amputation.
- Vaccination does not diminish the functionality of any body part; circumcision has documented adverse effects on the function of the genitals.
- Vaccination is scientific medicine, with proven protective value; circumcision is a relic of Victorian quackery.
Source: Call to Circumcise Ignores the Evidence, Online Opinion, http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/view.asp?article=16264&page=0
Who can decline a card from a child? Brings a tear to my eye …